Employment Opportunities at Born Free USA
Open Position: Animal Care Staff (Dilley, TX)
Working across the United States and with its west coast office in Sacramento, California, Born Free USA is a national non-profit animal advocacy organization working to end animal cruelty and exploitation through legislation, litigation and public education. We are a dynamic and focused organization growing to meet the demands of the future. This is an exciting time to join the organization and be part of the team that will deliver an ambitious agenda for change across the country.
Born Free USA seeks to achieve equal opportunity for all staff members as articulated by federal, state and local laws. We actively seek to recruit individuals without regard to race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, age or physical characteristics. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, training, promotion, transfer, job benefits, pay, and dismissal.
Open Position: Animal Care Staff
(Location: Dilley, TX)
The Primate Sanctuary is a division of Born Free USA. Our mission is to provide nonhuman primates as high a quality of life as we can, with as little human interference as needed to maintain their proper care. The 186-acre sanctuary, located near San Antonio, TX, is home to more than 600 individuals, many of whom were rescued from abusive or exploitative situations.
The focus of animal care at the sanctuary is to provide conditions in which the captive populations of macaques, baboons and vervets are allowed to live out the remainder of their lives with extensive freedom of movement, choice of food, and choice of companions, in accordance with their social nature. We aim to provide a lifelong, high standard of care without being needlessly intrusive. The Primate Sanctuary is unique in the quality of life that the majority of residents experience, living in free-ranging groups in natural enclosures of several acres.
1. Participate in the daily care of animals including, but not limited to:
- Clean habitats
- Empty, clean and re-fill water troughs
- Prepare food and feed animals
- Load trucks with boxes and sacks of food
- Make needed repairs
- Report any animal showing signs of ill health or injury to the manager and/or director
- Dispense medications and medical treatments
- Maintain written log entries
- Prepare animals for inclement weather
2. Clear away boxes and other rubbish and burn in incinerator or burn pit.
3. Grounds and enclosure maintenance work as required:
- Trimming vegetation around the enclosures using appropriate equipment
- Trimming vegetation around the sanctuary to keep paths and others areas clear
- Repair and maintain fixtures and fittings around the Sanctuary such as fencing, water lines, equipment, etc.
4. Make and distribute enrichment.
5. Help with the weekly delivery of fresh produce, dry feed, hay and other deliveries by unloading and stacking supplies.
6. Help with construction work as required.
7. Perform other tasks as required.
We are looking for applicants with the following:
- A willingness to make a commitment to the monkeys, as well as the organization
- The ability to work calmly around animals in a respectful and humane manner
- Is supportive of other staff members
- Has a positive attitude
- Can lift up to 80 pounds
- Can twist, bend, kneel, push, pull and conduct other kinds of extremely physical work
- Is able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Is willing to work various shifts, including weekends and holidays
- Be capable of following all safety procedures and animal care protocols
- Achieved a college degree in zoology, biology, primatology, anthropology, conservation, animal behavior or related field
- Have one to two years of animal care experience; experience with primates is a plus
- Experience in an animal sanctuary or similar work environment a plus
- Veterinary tech skills a plus
- Familiarity with exotics and/or wildlife a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Proficiency in prioritizing and working efficiently
- Essential to work as a team member, as well as independently
- Valid driver's license
- Reliable organizational and practical skills
- Must be able to commit to at least one year
- Be prepared to move to a small, rural community
- $8.50/hour, 40 hours per week
- $9/hour after 90-day probationary period
- Permanent, full-time employment
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick time
- Health insurance
- Dental, Vision and Veterinary reimbursement program based of length of employment
- Continuing education possible
- Temporary on-site housing available
How To Apply:
If interested, send a cover letter and résumé to:
Traci Hanson, On-site Manager
Born Free USA Primate Sanctuary
P.O. Box 25
Dilley, TX 78017
Employment Opportunities at The Born Free USA Primate Sanctuary
Born Free USA is a national non-profit animal advocacy organization, working to end animal cruelty and exploitation through legislation, litigation, public education and direct care. Born Free USA provides "hands-on" care for animals at the Born Free USA Primate Sanctuary located in Dilley, TX, where more than 600 primates, many rescued from abusive situations in laboratories, roadside zoos and private possession, live in as natural an environment as possible with minimal human interference.